These pages are not displaying properly because the Compatibility View in your Internet Explorer is enabled. We suggest that you remove 'fu-berlin.de' from your list of sites that have Compatibility View enabled.
- In Internet Explorer, press the 'Alt' key to display the Menu bar, or press and hold the address bar and select 'Menu bar'.
- Click 'Tools' and select 'Compatibility View settings'.
- Select 'fu-berlin.de' under 'Websites you've added to Compatibility View'.
- Click 'Remove'.
Alexander Vowinkel, Data Science Consultant
Please describe shortly your current profession. How does your typical day at work look like?
I work on different client projects regarding Data Science, e.g. building Proof of concepts for digital innovations in clients companies. This often includes travelling during the week.
What was your motivation to study Bioinformatics?
- Having a broad education on the junction of multiple professions.
When and how did you choose your current profession? Did you realize your plans from the time of your studies?
I decided for it shortly after my masters degree. I didn't aim for a specific profession during my studies.
What in your opinion is the most important thing for your work that you learned during your studies? What do you still profit from?
- The broad knowledge, making it possible to thrive deeper in a large variety of topics.
- Analytical and scientific thinking.
Which additional qualifications should one gain as a student that are crucial or useful for your current profession?
- Being able to impart knowledge to groups of people / giving oral presentations
- Presenting a complex topic to non-specialists
Is there anything from the Master’s program that evokes especially strong memories?
- The tough first term courses
What advice would you give the master students who would like to pursue a similar career?
- Master your analytical thinking.
- Learn to identify and communicate the important parts of a complex topic.