Biochemistry (M.Sc.)

These pages are not displaying properly because the Compatibility View in your Internet Explorer is enabled. We suggest that you remove 'fu-berlin.de' from your list of sites that have Compatibility View enabled.

  1. In Internet Explorer, press the 'Alt' key to display the Menu bar, or press and hold the address bar and select 'Menu bar'.
  2. Click 'Tools' and select 'Compatibility View settings'.
  3. Select 'fu-berlin.de' under 'Websites you've added to Compatibility View'.
  4. Click 'Remove'.

Information for Applicants

The FUB Biochemistry Master’s program receives applications from all over the world. Approximately 25-30 students are accepted based on successful completion of a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in Biochemistry or in a related area such as Molecular Biology. Admission is dependent on grades and interviews.

To study in Germany, different requirements apply, depending on the applicant’s country of origin. Below we have detailed the process for applicants from Germany, the EU and other countries.

The FUB Biochemistry Master’s program accepts applicants twice a year, for the Summer Semester and for the Winter Semester. Thus, if you have missed one deadline, you have another chance to apply only six months later.

The FUB Biochemistry Master’s program is taught in English. Therefore, you will need to provide proof of sufficient English language skills.

Students who took at least five years of English at a German school can use their Abitur (German high school degree) to document sufficient English language skills.

For all students whose first language is not German and/or who have earned their degree from a University in which German is not the language of instruction, proof of sufficient German (DSH2) or English Skills (IELTS 5.0; TOEFL: Paper 500 or Computer 170 or Internet 80) is required.

If you are applying from outside of Germany but from within the EU, you first have to register and submit your credentials at a website called uni-assist (https://www.uni-assist.de/). This online tool conducts a preliminary check of your documents and issues a preliminary certificate (VPD, “Vorprüfungsdokumentation”). With this certificate you can then apply directly at FUB. Make sure you register early at uni-assist, so you have sufficient time for your subsequent application at FUB.

If you are applying from outside of the EU, you may have to apply for a student visa. You have to find out which visa regulations apply to you. Once you have met visa requirements or if you do not require a student visa, the process is similar to an application from within the EU.