These pages are not displaying properly because the Compatibility View in your Internet Explorer is enabled. We suggest that you remove 'fu-berlin.de' from your list of sites that have Compatibility View enabled.
- In Internet Explorer, press the 'Alt' key to display the Menu bar, or press and hold the address bar and select 'Menu bar'.
- Click 'Tools' and select 'Compatibility View settings'.
- Select 'fu-berlin.de' under 'Websites you've added to Compatibility View'.
- Click 'Remove'.
Infographic: Types of higher education entrance qualification (HZB)
This view is optimized for use on tablet and desktop PCs. Due to limited display options the view cannot be used on smaller end devices. Please work on the view using a tablet or desktop PC! Thank you for your understanding!
Click on the information icon for further information and additional links.
You have two options:
- before you take the assessment exam, you can go through one year of preparation at the Studienkolleg or
- you can prepare and study for the exam independently and take the external assesment examination.
Please note that you have to apply through uni-assist for either option. The university's website has more information about the application process for the first subject-specific semester within the university-internal procedure/Studienkolleg.
Whether you have a higher education entrance qualification that is accepted as equal to the German HZB depends on your educational background.
Conditions usually include the following:
- a high school diploma or school-leaving qualification from your native country that grants you access to higher education in your native country or, as the case may be,
- a combination of school-leaving qualification, university entrance exam and/or years already enrolled as a student at a university.
The DAAD's (German Academic Exchange Service) website and database anabin can give you information about what kind of HZB you have.
Higher Education Entrance Qualification (HZB)
The following page can tell you more about which options are available to you to acquire a HZB in Berlin through so called "second-chance education": https://www.berlin.de/sen/bildung/lebenslanges-lernen/zweiter-bildungsweg/