These pages are not displaying properly because the Compatibility View in your Internet Explorer is enabled. We suggest that you remove 'fu-berlin.de' from your list of sites that have Compatibility View enabled.
- In Internet Explorer, press the 'Alt' key to display the Menu bar, or press and hold the address bar and select 'Menu bar'.
- Click 'Tools' and select 'Compatibility View settings'.
- Select 'fu-berlin.de' under 'Websites you've added to Compatibility View'.
- Click 'Remove'.
Excellent English skills (C1) are a basic requirement for admission to the B.A. in North American Studies. Additionally, the program fosters further sophistication in English through a Language Skills course, offered by the FU Language Center. These courses focus on oral, writing, listening, and reading skills, as well as pronounciation. A particular concentration is the spoken and written use of academic English. Participation is mandatory for B.A. students of North American Studies.
- Oral Skills and Writing Skills A (5 CP)
The course offers a practical approach to aquiring the necessary skill for practicing English in academic environments. It aims at providing the following qualifications:
- writing structured academic and non-academic texts in different genres
- applying all relevant reading techniques
- an understanding of the foundational principles of English grammar
- evaluating and proofreading self-written texts
- participating in discussions
- taking notes and participating in lectures
- speaking fluently
- using a variety of electronic databases and dictionaries